Lessons from history
Conducting effective due diligence
An ODD investigation typically includes some or all of the following:
- Verification of an organisation's physical existence and its premises.
- Thorough research done in local languages.
- The discovery of unique identifiers such as tax, VAT, and commercial register numbers.
- Details of ultimate beneficial owners (UBOs)
- Identification of PEPs and types of high-risk individuals.
- Details of other entities that the company is either directly or indirectly a director or shareholder of.
- Details of any political affiliations, financing, or dealings.
- Details of bankruptcies, litigation proceedings and lawsuits
- Suspicious or questionable anomalies in paperwork.
- Legal and regulatory compliance.